You are visitor number
to our web site.
Last update: January 2018
| The Cross
Built in 1881 on the site of the old lock-up of the Ancient Manor and Borough of Ruyton.It was originally intended to house a light so that the intersection of Church Street with School Road could be seen more easily.
THE HISTORY of Ruyton XI Towns, which is situated close to the Welsh border between
the Shropshire towns of Shrewsbury and Oswestry, dates back to at least the Anglo Saxon period, (410-1066) as it is recorded in the Doomsday Book
The village gained its name in the twelfth century when a castle was built and the village became the focus of eleven local townships, some of which still survive today. The eleven townships in question were: Coton, Eardiston, Felton, Haughton, Rednal, Ruyton, Shelvock, Shotatton, Sutton, Tedsmore, and Wykey. The name of the village has changed a few times from Ruyton of the Eleven Towns or simply Ruyton.
In 2008 the 'township' celebated its 700 year Charter Borough anniversary which coincided
with the completion of preservation work on the ruins of Ruyton XI Towns' castle.
The resulting interest in, and awareness of, the parish's history led to the creation of the
Ruyton XI Towns Local History Society.
The aims of the Society are: To promote the advancement of knowledge and
understanding of the history, archaeology and architecture of the parish of Ruyton XI
Towns and its surrounding area and to investigate and encourage research into the history, archaeology and architecture of Ruyton XI Towns and its surrounding area.
The Society, which meets regularly provides lectures, visits and exhibitions. New Members
are always welcome. Our annual Membership fee is £10. Non-Members pay £2.50
For a Membership Form click here